So here is a list of five things that writers can do, like athletes must do, to achieve success.
- Practice every day. The athletes didn't suddenly wake up to find they could win gold without putting in the hard work that success requires. Although they may be blessed with a runner's body, they still have to train hard every day.
- Winning takes an extreme amount of focus. Training hard requires complete focus and the athletes are not easily distracted by other events. They have the discipline that it takes to excel over other competitors by continually pushing themselves forward.
- Be part of a team. Although writing is an individual career, writers need other professionals to help them succeed. Writers have what it takes to produce a quality piece of work but they cannot edit it without the help of a copyeditor.
- Everyone needs fans. All athletes and artists need fans to help support and encourage them when times are tough. The supporters give the athlete/writer something to focus on when they're preparing to run a race or write a book.
- Rise above jealousy. There will always be someone more successful than yourself. But it's important not to feel resentful over this person but instead to try and learn from their achievements. Jealousy is such a pointless emotion because there is nothing to be gained from it.